A Tramp in the (Organic) Garden

Seeds, Smack Talk and Assorted Gardening Madness in South Pasadena, Los Angeles

Friday, August 03, 2007

Crandon Park Beach Gardens

It was ages ago when I went to Miami, buuuuut....these gardens are worth checking out merely for the fact that there are supposedly random crocodiles running around supposedly, and exotic birds and reptiles. It used to be the ZOO in the 40s or something, as referenced by the horrible cages that are like 5 ft by 5 ft. Those poor poor animals! And amazing banyan trees with crazy roots that will awe you. This seemed much more meaningful like 5 months ago when I went there, but whatevs! Oh, and the peacocks- anywhere with peacocks is cool, and I'm still trying to convince my friend that she should add peacocks to her aviary of chickens. She is nonplussed...















6 Comments:

At 05 February, 2008 04:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, living in Canada makes these pictures even more lovely. I can just feel summer cursing through my veins now :)

I am starting to get into greenhouse organic gardening. It's quite a hobby.

Now of course I also need to get into organic cooking.
http://www.your-own-greenhouse.com/2007/12/easy-organic-cooking/

 
At 14 June, 2008 07:23, Blogger ericat said...

The garden has a peaceful effect looking at it now. Would not have liked it when it was still a zoo in the "old" days. What caught me was your mention of the peacocks.
My mother had her peacocks on the farm. They were very pretty but if you are visiting to relax then it is no joke to hear a loud bump on the roof followed by a screeching "he- e- e l p help h-e- e- e- l p " at 4:00 in the morning.
Every time I see a male peacock trying to impress a female then I always wonder if there could be any male bird or animal more vain.

 
At 25 July, 2008 13:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the last poster...this garden definitely looks peaceful. I have some liriope in my back yard that creates the same effect.

 
At 18 August, 2008 21:58, Blogger Candylei said...

Hi: Oh, I do want peacocks, too. They don't always make loud noises though. It's seasonal. The best are the white or silver peacocks. Male turkey's are vain and so are roosters for that matter.

 
At 16 December, 2008 03:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow love the peacocks!

 
At 05 June, 2009 14:37, Blogger Heavy Petal said...

How exotic (she says from temperate Vancouver)!

Don't know how I'd feel about visiting a garden with meandering crocodiles - especially with my very snackable one year old in tow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home