A Tramp in the (Organic) Garden

Seeds, Smack Talk and Assorted Gardening Madness in South Pasadena, Los Angeles

Friday, August 03, 2007

Miami's Ever So Casual Flora

Of course, we had to walk down Lincoln Road in South Beach- I love it, people have dinner at 11:00 and go out at midnight. Everyone walking around enjoying life and a late dinner- not like LA, where you can barely find anything to eat after 11:00 except taco trucks, Canter's and Fred 62. Jesus Lordy Christ. But anyway, along my walk on Lincoln Road, I found it most fascinating and almost surreal that the tropical plants we sometimes covet in cooler zones are grown so casually in tropical climes. It's like being in a big greenhouse...

Isn't this a freaking sausage tree? I believe it is!


And isn't this a freaking bodhi tree just growing on top of this palm? Look at those pointed leaves, I'm pretty sure it is.


Huge beautiful bromeliads just totally casual. In LA, you pay like 40 dollars each for one of these at a nursery. I wanted to smuggle a small pup back to LA in my nether regions, but decided that would be unethical; it's people like me that bring in plant pathogens and new pests every year with their innocent exports.


I love east coast beaches- these fences are so romantic and photogenic. All those grasses and beach morning glory!


This was in the everglades- if the sharks don't get you, flesh hungry alligators will!

6 Comments:

At 05 August, 2007 09:52, Blogger Jacquie said...

Ohhh, I love seeing my city from someone else's eyes. Great photos. Hope the humidity didn't kill you. I just came back from Penn Valley (near Sacramento) a week ago and was in bliss with the California weather.

 
At 07 August, 2007 10:11, Blogger T said...

I love the pictures from your travels. Since I don't like to fly, I can live vicariously through you.

 
At 01 October, 2007 04:09, Blogger Sue Swift said...

Hi – this is an invitation to join the Garden Bloggers Retro carnival. I don’t know if you’ve ever come across the concept of a Blog carnival – if not I’ve explained it in detail on my site today (Oct 1). But basically the idea is to revive an old post which you think is worth rereading, or which you think new readers might enjoy. Send me the link to the post, and in November I’ll publish a series of posts describing and linking to all the posts people have nominated.
I hope you’ll join in and we have a fun carnival!
Sue

 
At 12 October, 2007 14:39, Blogger Your Mom and Your Boyfriend said...

you're still the hottest chick in the game, loretta. i can't find your phonenumber and have so much to saaaaaayyyyy!!

 
At 17 October, 2007 20:45, Blogger Loretta said...

Ilya! Where have you been??
Are you still a virgin? Just kidding.
No for real, though- are you still at the same number? I shall call you. I can't leave my phone number (stalkers, CIA, etc). And your blog page is a fraud!

Love,

Loretta

 
At 03 December, 2007 06:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last picture reminds me of India.That's something very common which one get to see in our country.


Arun Pillai
http://arunpillai.net/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home