A Tramp in the (Organic) Garden

Seeds, Smack Talk and Assorted Gardening Madness in South Pasadena, Los Angeles

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Swiss Plant Life

These are field of what I think are sugar beets right outside of Zurich proper, in Witikon.


Worms did this! The worms in Swizzera are huge, apparently, strong and vigorous. The ground is riddled with these small piles of earth and what are probably some castings. The ground is extremely fertile in Switzerland.


This is a little community garden outside of Zurich.


Look at this extreme girdling on this tree on the lake of Zurich! I was trying to figure out exactly what happened and if it was done on purpose, as some sort of fashion thing.


This is a crazy example of pollarding. as you walk along Lake Zurich, you see long allees of chestnut or maroni trees that have been pollarded every single year, resulting in these knobbly bits you see here during the winter.

6 Comments:

At 12 March, 2007 19:16, Blogger Unknown said...

I always like the knobs on the end of pollarded trees in the winter, even when it's a little crazy like here. It makes the tree look old... like you could sit underneath it and it would tell you great stories.

 
At 12 March, 2007 20:24, Blogger Loretta said...

Good point! Hmm, food for thought, food for thought...

: )

 
At 13 March, 2007 01:33, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Love your blog. You're going places, aren't go? Love the pics. Last weekend I've sown some tomatoes too.

I also grow things organically, it's the only way, isn't it?

 
At 13 March, 2007 20:59, Blogger T said...

Okay...I checked your blog what I thought was maybe a week ago...and there wasn't anything new...today I log on and BAM...she's back people...the little Tramp is BACK and I'm am so INSPIRED! I love all the Swiss updates and the new pics of all the cool places overseas. You really had a blogging session didn't you? Love it!

 
At 04 May, 2007 05:36, Blogger Stunned Donor said...

Hey Loretta! I Imagine your garden is going pretty good by now, I've just got everything cleared for planting here. You shoulda brought back some of those ginormous Swiss worms!

 
At 20 February, 2008 09:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm an arborist in the UK and was doing a spot of research towards my current studies, when I stumbled upon your blog.

I thought I'd answer your question in regards to your "girdled tree" picture.

It is in fact a grafted tree, and what you are witnessing is the graft union between the root stock and the applied tree stock.
There are many forms of this out there, and in this instance, the vigour of the root stock seems to be greater than that of the applied tree stock, the cambium layer of the union looks to be fairly sound, and has made a nice merger, although due to this slight incompatibility, it could be said that the trees integrity would not be too sound, presenting its self as a weak point when up against high winds or other mechanical stress factors.

Regards

 

Post a Comment

<< Home