A Tramp in the (Organic) Garden

Seeds, Smack Talk and Assorted Gardening Madness in South Pasadena, Los Angeles

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Huntington Library Gardens Experience

A week or so ago I attended a very proper tea (tea....quila!) at The Huntington Library and Gardens. It was all very proper. Afterwards the very very proper ladies walked about the grounds and we observed some very interesting things. I won't bore you with too many sweeping shots- you can find that on the website or in books. Instead I will give you the perspective from the street, the raw nitty gritty underground view. Actually I was just starting to get a cold from my week of partying like a rock star and felt quite weak and woozy so my perspective may be a little bit...underwhelming. Alas, there was no handmaiden or houseboy around to revive me with smelling salts or mist me with Italian rosewater. What a pity.

Glaucous Agave on glaucous Agave. Love blue foliage.


And I love it when Monstera climbs trees in the tropics. It's so exotic. I love the tropics.


Dendrocalamus asper bamboo was backlit by the summer sun.


This African Gardenia was quite simply stunning. I remember this same shrub knocked me off my feet years ago with it's delectable fragrance. Powerful, mesmerizing, graceful. Unforgiveable....


Love the Crinum in Hot Pink- a hot throwback to the 60's in California. You'll find this makes a presence in old gardens.


The masses flock to the Japanese Garden. It is serene.


The Herb Garden was simply abuzz with bees.


Birds like to eat cactus fruit in the Cactus Garden. Feast on, little birdling!


Violet Opuntia becomes more violet with heat, drought and cold stress. Would look so good massed with a blue vertical accent in the background.


Very friendly ducks! Demanding little critters.




And friendly koi- he actually let me pet him and he was enormous. Soundbyte!


Water lilies are always pretty. And edible, too, if you get locked inside the gates at the Huntington after hours.

7 Comments:

At 18 August, 2006 04:02, Blogger Myrtle Luma said...

Loved the photo of the Agaves - never seen that variety before.

Myrtle

 
At 18 August, 2006 04:43, Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I grew up in the Pasadena-Altadena-Sierra Madre area so The Huntington Library Gardens and the L.A. Arboretum in Arcadia were stock school field trips.

 
At 18 August, 2006 06:54, Blogger Unknown said...

Stunning pictures! I can't believe that the koi let you pet him... how cool. :)

 
At 20 August, 2006 09:45, Blogger T said...

I love the Koi fish pic! I want to go pet him. These are incredible photos. Did you take them with your digital or other camera? I think we need to go and have a tea of our own...doesn't necessarily need to be proper though! :-) ~T

 
At 26 August, 2006 19:25, Blogger Andee said...

I love your photos of the Huntington Library Garden, especially the bamboo shot. Thanks

 
At 02 January, 2007 17:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you do !
- atrampintheorganicgarden.blogspot.com 4
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

 
At 08 February, 2007 08:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great site here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a fine gardening magazine site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home