A Tramp in the (Organic) Garden

Seeds, Smack Talk and Assorted Gardening Madness in South Pasadena, Los Angeles

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Juicy Tomatoes of the World Unite

This spring I grew a whole bunch of heirloom tomato plants from seed and gave them away to people near and dear. A summer later, this is their story:

Ilga: These ANANAS NOIRE tomatoes were grown in a fire escape of an historical building in Hollywood. Gorgeous!


Amy's tomaters are the juiciest tomatoes I've ever seen. Oye, mamita! From South Pasadena.


Mindy and Eric's tomato structure In Highland Park looks so beautiful- I love that he built it for her. It's like the gardening equivalent of giving diamonds. Chivalry is not dead, friends. Very gentlemanly...They are growing a variety of tomatoes this year.


Natasha's HILLBILLY in South Pasadena with Cheryl the Rooster in the background guarding the plants. We couldn't figure out why these hadn't produced anything this year, until...Natasha revealed that she had grown corn (a heavy feeder) in the exact same spot the year before, which most likely has something to do with it. Cheryl and Mindy also had problems with their HILLBILLYS, though, too. Interesting....


Kirsten's toms- an ANANAS NOIRE can grow in Downtown LA. Go, tomato, go!


Elea's various maters scramble all over a trellis in South Pas- I dig the velvet pillows. Shouts to AD for the photo.


Tiana's BLACK BRANDYWINE in Ventura county benefit from a marine breeze- here with Swiss chard in the background:


Cheryl's grow between a rock and a hard place in Altadena-from left- KENTUCKY BEEFSTEAK, HILLBILLY, AND BLACK KRIM:


Beth made a sweet PATIO ORANGE tomato still life with a note on my desk at work one morning- I was very surprised these were red, and not orange. Whassup with that, world?


Lila's ripening ANANAS NOIRE in Los Feliz looks beaut even when green:


Maria in Canyon Country has produced some delicious ISIS CANDY- here with bonus still life with roses from her garden:



My own juicy ANANAS NOIRE- the critters didn't get this baby!


This years tomato growing season has been exciting, even dangerous at times (well, not really, I'm just being dramatic) - next year I vow to do things differently. I WILL start my seeds earlier and cover them with little plastic cloches. I WILL spray the seedlings with seaweed emulsion every 2 weeks. I WILL choose only the most hearty, disease resistant, heaviest producing tomatoes. I WILL disseminate tomatoes to people in a timely fashion with a copy of planting instructions. And I WILL not forget any of these things come spring!

Peace out, tomatoes and tomato growing peoples- it's been fun- until next year! Thank you so much for participating in my tomato madness and providing photos of your beautiful babies...

I hope it was a great adventure for all,

Your humble Garden Tramp

PS-ANANAS NOIRE seemed to be the superstar this year, producing earlier than others, and more reliably. The plants seemed vigorous. The flesh looks amazing when cut, is delicious and low in acid. I would grow them again next year. For some REAL tomato reviews, check out Hanna's Tomato Tastings 2006, they are the bomb.

4 Comments:

At 05 September, 2006 18:02, Blogger Christa said...

Great post! I like how you tell the story of who's growing each kind of tomato...and where. It was fun to read. Nice photos, too!

 
At 09 September, 2006 15:38, Blogger La Gringa said...

Wow, Loretta, that ANANAS NOIRE is one big tomato! Boo hoo. I've had the worst tomato season in my life. Not one single one. At least here in the tropics, I can keep trying through the 'winter.'

 
At 08 February, 2007 08:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great site here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a japanese gardening site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 17 March, 2007 11:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year I had only one Ananas noire plant that germinated. This year I hope to have about 10 plants. I have 7 so far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home